Country Style Collard Greens are fresh greens
seasoned with smoked turkey necks and a blend of spices.
Watch us make this recipe!
Country Style Collard Greens
No matter where you are from, most everyone has a love for collard greens; however, not all may care to take the time to cook them.
Even though once cooked you will have a lot less greens than what you started with, they are so worth it.
They are not as complicated to cook as they may seem. To make the process easier, I prefer to wash and “pick” my greens one day and cook them the following day.
I may even cut them into strips and place them in a container so all I have to do the next day is add them to the pot.
This is how they should look once cut into strips:
While I’m washing and prepping my greens, I boil my turkey necks since they have to cook for about an hour before adding the greens to the pot.
If preparing the greens the night before, once your turkey necks have boiled, allow them to cool and reserve four to six cups of the water that you cooked them in.
Then place them in a tupperware dish. Place everything in the fridge until the next morning and half of your work is done.
The next morning, add your turkey necks and reserved water to a large pot and bring it to a boil. Add your greens to the pot and let them cook for about fifteen minutes before seasoning them.
Then season according to the directions and cook the greens for a total of forty-five minutes or until they are wilted and tender.
At times you may pick a batch of beans that are bitter and hard to season. This is normal and happens. Adjust your seasonings and cook the greens longer if necessary. They are not done until they are nice and tender.
Have fun with this recipe and as always enjoy!
You may also like:
- 4 bunches of collard greens stemmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 smoked turkey necks
- 1/2 c of yellow onion- diced
- 1/2 c of bell pepper- diced
- 1 jalapeno- diced
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 3/4 c of brown sugar
- 1/2 c of granulated sugar
- 1-2 tbsp of seasoning salt
- 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsps of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-4 c of water
- Fill a large pot halfway with water.
- Add turkey necks to the pot and boil them for one hour. Make sure to keep enough water in the pot to cover the turkey necks.
- While the turkey necks are cooking, wash and cut the greens as pictured above.
- After the turkey necks have boiled, reserve four to six cups of the broth and pour the remainder of the broth from the pot.
- Add the greens to the pot and allow them to cook for about 15 minutes before seasoning them.
- Season the greens with brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, seasoned salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sliced jalapeno, onion, bell pepper, oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes or until greens are wilted and tender.
Welcome to with Kultural Kreations! Our recipes are southern based; however, we create a variety of delicious recipes from Air Fryer Recipes, Casseroles, Appetizers, Dessert, Cocktails and more!