Mongolian chicken is a Chinese- American dish of chicken breast prepared
with ginger, garlic, olive oil and brown sugar.
Prefer video? Watch our latest recipe videos!
One of my favorite Asian restaurants is PF Changs. PF Changs has an awesome atmosphere and the food is great. It’s not your average Asian sit down.
My favorites are chicken and broccoli, combination fried rice and lo mein noodles. Oh and of course every time I visit the restaurant I order the house-made egg rolls and sub the house sauce for Mongolian sauce.
So of course the sauce inspired me to make this recipe. Not to mention, I’m a fool for Asian food!
As a matter of fact, I visit a local Asian restaurant at least twice a week for lunch. Other than that, I cook most meals at home.
But let’s keep it real, I’m human, I still work a 9-5 and just need a break sometimes.
Maybe when I master cooking all of my favorite Asian recipes, I’ll go less often, but for now, that’s my splurge a few times a week.
I wanted to share a few tips with you to ensure this dish comes out perfect for you all:
- The Mongolian sauce is meant to be pretty sweet, but if the sauce is too sweet for you, add more water a half a cup at a time and mix well.
- I use 1/2 C of light brown sugar and 1/2 C of dark brown sugar for this recipe, but you can use all light brown sugar or all dark brown sugar. I just think the mixture of the two is a richer flavor, but the sauce is great either way.
- I always season my chicken while it’s cooking. Although this sauce is very flavorful I think that meat lacks luster if it is not seasoned during the initial cooking process, so season it modestly with your favorite seasoning.
This sauce is also great with our Beef Egg Roll recipe! One of these days I will get around to making a blog post just for the Mongolia sauce.
You may also like:
- 5 - 6 chicken breasts
- 1/3 - 1/2 c of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp of garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp of black pepper
- For the sauce:
- 2 tsps of olive oil
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 c of lite of soy sauce
- 1/2 c of dark brown sugar- packed
- 1/2 c of light brown sugar- packed
- 1/2 - 1 c of water
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch or flour
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and heat.
- Add chicken breasts season with seasoned salt, garlic salt and black pepper. (Seasoning is optional)
- Place chicken in skillet and brown on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, cut into strips and sit to the side. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Whisk ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, olive oil and water in a bowl then add to skillet.
- Heat sauce and whisk in cornstarch.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lastly, return the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with your preferred rice.
Welcome to with Kultural Kreations! Our recipes are southern based; however, we create a variety of delicious recipes from Air Fryer Recipes, Casseroles, Appetizers, Dessert, Cocktails and more!