Okra and Tomatoes with Sausage is a spin-off of the popular dish okra and tomatoes.
Serve over rice to create a complete meal packed with vegetable goodness.
Watch the video for this recipe!
Okra and Tomatoes with Sausage
Okay let’s start by saying this dish was supposed to be okra and tomatoes, but instead of just making a side dish I made it into a meal. I had gotten off of work and wanted to make a dish that worked for dinner and for the blog as well.
Needless to stay, just okra and tomatoes weren’t going to get it. So I went into the fridge and found some sausage and put it all together.
Then for more of a filling meal, serve it over a bed of white rice. I have Louisiana roots so I guess that’s where the rice comes into play. My grandmother is from Louisiana and there a lot of meals are served with rice.
My grandmother makes this dish with chicken, shrimp and sometimes she even adds roast beef.
In my family, we call this dish “Okra Gumbo”. Unlike traditional gumbo, as you can see it is made with “red sauce” which is just tomatoes. Who knows about this?
I would be interested to know. I will have to make the okra gumbo for you all one of these days.
Frozen okra was used in this recipe. Fresh okra can also be used as a substitute. I have used fresh okra before but was not a big fan of it.
It tends to be a little too tough for my taste when used to make this recipe. And using frozen okra saves you time from cutting up okra, etc.
The frozen okra is already chopped and ready to go! No need to make things harder on yourself than they need to be! Making a great meal shouldn’t always require you to be in the kitchen for hours.
You may also like:
Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- 1 (12) oz bag of frozen okra
- 1 (14.5) oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 c of chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp of seasoning salt
- 1 link of Echrich sausage- sliced
- 2 c of water
- In a large pot, add okra, tomatoes and water and season with garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, onion and minced garlic.
- Cook and cook over low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
- While okra is cooking slice sausage and fry on each side until brown.
- Remove sausage from pan and blot any excess oil.
- Add sausage to okra mixture and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over white rice!
Welcome to with Kultural Kreations! Our recipes are southern based; however, we create a variety of delicious recipes from Air Fryer Recipes, Casseroles, Appetizers, Dessert, Cocktails and more!