Purple Hull Peas and Okra is simple a one-pot meal
made with peas, okra, smoked turkey necks and a few spices.
Watch the video for this recipe!
In my opinion, they have more flavor and are creamier than black eyed peas.
Have you ever had purple hull peas? If not you are missing out and have to try them asap!
This dish is simply frozen purple hull peas, frozen okra, a smoked turkey neck, onion, water and spices.
No hulling peas and no chopping okra. That’s why we are using frozen peas and okra.
They are just as good as the fresh ones.
You will need:
- Bag of frozen purple hull peas
- Bag of frozen okra
- Seasoned salt
- Garlic salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Yellow onion
- Turkey neck
Steps to make this recipe:
Fill a medium-size pan almost to the top with water. Add the turkey neck and cook over medium heat for one hour.
After one hour, add the purple hull peas, onion and seasonings. Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat. If needed, add additional water throughout the cooking process.
Add the okra and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes. Add one to two additional cups of water if needed. Remove from heat and serve.
Purple Hull Peas and Okra
The meats and the water the meat is cooked in enhances the flavor of the dish.
For those who aren’t quite ready to take it that far, just leave the turkey neck out. The peas will still be good without it.
But sooner or later, your curiosity will get the best of you and I’m sure you will try it lol!
You may also like:
Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- 1 (12) ounce bag of frozen purple hull peas
- 1 (12) ounce bag of frozen okra
- 1/2 tbsp of seasoned salt
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic salt
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 c of yellow onion
- 1 turkey neck optional
- Fill a medium size pot almost to the top with water.
- Add turkey neck and cook over medium heat for one hour.
- After one hour, add purple hull peas, onion and seasonings.
- Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat. Add additional water throughout the cooking process if needed.
- Add the okra and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes. Add one to two additional cups of water if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve.