The Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is the perfect substitution for take out!
This dish is not as complicated to make as you may think. Let me show you how!
Watch the video for this recipe!
If you are an Asian food lover, you are going to be so addicted to this recipe! Sweet and sour chicken is ssssoooo easy to make.
It takes a few steps, but once you have all of your ingredients prepared and laid out, the process goes rather quickly.
So for this process you are going to need a few ingredients that you most likely already have at home.
You will need:
- Chicken breasts: 2.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cornstarch: to coat the chicken for frying
- Flour: to coat the chicken for frying
- Salt: to season the chicken prior to frying
- Eggs: to make the batter for frying the chicken
- Vegetable oil: to the fry the chicken and saute the vegetables
- Diced green bell pepper, red bell pepper and yellow onion
- Four the sauce: Ketchup, white vinegar, granulated sugar, light soy sauce, minced garlic
Let’s talk about how easy this recipe is to make:
Cut the chicken into one-inch strips. You want to cut the chicken against the grain/lines of the chicken for easier cutting. Place the chicken in a bowl. Crack the eggs and whisk them together.
Pour the egg mixture over the chicken and mix it together coating the chicken in the mixture.
In another bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch and salt. The flour and cornstarch is needed for this recipe to make this chicken extra crispy.
Dip the coated chicken into the flour mixture. You want to do this a few pieces at a time to make sure the pieces do not clump together too much.
Set the chicken on a dish placing the pieces with space in between each other. While doing this process, you want to go ahead and heat your oil in a medium-size pan.
Fry the chicken in the oil a few batches at a time until golden brown. Once the chicken is brown, transfer it to a paper towel covered dish.
Next, you want to heat about 1/4 c of oil in a large skillet. Add the vegetables and cook them until they start to become tender.
Add the pineapples and sauce to the skillet. To prepare the sauce, simply whisk the ingredients together, then add them to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
Add the chicken to the skillet and fully coat it in the sauce mixture. Add the chicken a few pieces at time to ensure the chicken is well coated.
Allow to simmer for a few minutes and then remove the skillet from the heat. Allow the stir-fry rest for about 10 minutes prior to serving for the best taste.
Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator. I do not recommend storing the stir-fry for greater than three days.
You may also enjoy:
Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
- 2.5 lbs of chicken breast
- 8 ounces of pineapple chunks- drained
- 1 c of corn starch
- 1 c of flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c of green bell pepper- chopped
- 1/c c of red bell pepper- chopped
- 1/2 c of yellow onion- chopped
- 1/2 c of ketchup
- 1/2 c of white vinegar
- 1/2 c of granulated sugar
- 4 tbsps of light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps of minced garlic
- vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot.
- Cut the chicken into one-inch pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and pour them over the chicken. Coat the chicken with the egg mixture.
- In a bowl add the flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Dip the battered chicken into the flour mixture and fully coat the chicken.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown. You may need to cook the chicken in two to three batches.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and transfer to a paper towel covered dish.
- To prepare sauce:
- In a bowl, add ketchup, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and minced garlic. Whisk the ingredients together until combined.
- In a skillet, heat about 1/4 c of oil.
- Add vegetables to the oil and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the pineapples to the pan and stir into ingredients.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and mix into the sauce.
- Simmer for a few minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Allow the chicken to rest for about 10 minutes prior to serving.