This recipe isn’t called The Best Southern Fried Cabbage for nothing.
You won’t be able to get enough of this dish flavored with bacon, aromatics and seasonings.
Watch us make this recipe!
Southern fried cabbage is another one of those traditional Sunday recipes. And if your eating cabbage, it’s a must that you have cornbread. That’s non-negotiable.
So you all have all heard the saying, no two cooks cook alike right? Well that’s so true. My mother and my grandmother make their cabbage with salt pork.
Salt pork, like bacon, adds flavor to the cabbage. I love my mothers and my grandmother’s cabbage, but I prefer to use bacon.
My mother taught me how to cook cabbage and I just added my own twist to her recipe.
Recently, my grandmother and I had a discussion about how we make cabbage. Every week that we speak on the phone, she asks me what I cooked for dinner and what I made for dessert. Cooking is just a thing in my family.
I asked her if she added sugar in her cabbage and she said that she’s never used sugar in her cabbage. Well, guess what, I do. Just a little to bring out the natural sweetness of the cabbage.
After cooking for a while, you just find what works for you.
What I love so much about cabbage is that it can be whipped up in less than thirty minutes. That’s from start to finish.
I always like to give my cabbage a good rinse first, then cut into large pieces. Then, cut the cabbage into smaller pieces as pictured about and sit to the side.
Chop your bacon in pieces for fast frying. Fry your bacon, onion and bell pepper together so that you don’t have to add any extra oil to sauté those vegetables. Add your cabbage to the pot and let it cook down. After about 10 minutes turn the heat off and that is it my friends!
You also may like:
- 1 head of cabbage (about 8 cups chopped)
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1/3 c of yellow onion
- 1/3 c of bell pepper
- 3 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp of seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp of garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- Cut the cabbage in sections. Keep all pieces except for the core (middle of the cabbage.
- Rinse cabbage with water.
- Chop cabbage as pictured in above, then sit to the side.
- Chop bacon into small pieces. Then place in a large pot.
- Saute bacon for one minute stirring frequently, then add bell pepper and onion.
- Saute until bacon is fully cooked.
- Add cabbage to the pot, stir and cover. Allow to cook on medium heat for two minutes.
- Mix in seasonings and allow to cook for about i more minutes or until cabbage has cooked down (all of the cabbage has become soft/wilted).
- Turn off heat and stir the cabbage. Allow to rest for at least five minutes before serving.
Welcome to with Kultural Kreations! Our recipes are southern based; however, we create a variety of delicious recipes from Air Fryer Recipes, Casseroles, Appetizers, Dessert, Cocktails and more!